Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Elizabeth's Gowns look Too Short?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I know this has been mentioned before, but Elizabeth's gowns look too short to me. Even her ball gown looks short. Is this just AG's photography which doesn't always show the products in the best way, IMO.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner aggirl479's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2005
    Posts
    1,030
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree. I think that all of Elizabeth's dresses are too short. It looks strange that they only go down to her ankles!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member nycgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In my opinion, all of the website pictures of Elizabeth do not do her justice. She is far prettier than her pictures on the website! I can't speak for any of her outfits, but the doll is much prettier than the pictures show her to be. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It just seems strange because they are too long to be "tea length" and too short to be long gowns. I am glad to hear that Elizabeth looks better in person. I bet her clothes and accessories look better in person, too.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member heidiabigail's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2005
    Posts
    688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Quote:
    "I'm not a costume historian, but I seem to recall that lengthening one's skirts was a clear indication of being "grown up" - little girls had shorter skirts, grown ladies had the long skirts. So Elizabeth's skirts would seem to be suitable for her pre-teen age."

    Actually, I have come to understand that little girls in Colonial times dressed like little versions of adults. They had long skirt and wore stays (like corsets) from a very young age. Later on, like in the 1800's the length was an indication of age.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member heidiabigail's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2005
    Posts
    688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    wait- are the new dolls actually any taller, or was that a joke? [img]redface.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Miss_Nellie_OMalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2005
    Posts
    569
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know in Victorian and Edwardian Eras it was considered proper for a young girl to wear shorter dresses, and full length skirts were only for mature women.

    I believe in pre-revolutionary days it would have been considered scandolous for a woman to show her shins. In dance men would bow in such a manor as to show their shins off, it was kind of a sexual induendo... as in showing how "manely" they really were. So in no way would it have been appropriate for a woman I'm doing research as I type so I'll have the complete answer shortly

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner Miss_Nellie_OMalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2005
    Posts
    569
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok as far as I can tell actually Elizabeth's dress are appropriate. Hemlines where being shorten, and ankle lenght was perfectly acceptable by 1790 but was slowly gaining support years prior, depending on occation

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Aunt Cornelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    363
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I noticed that, too and I just figured it was because they were making the new dolls so much taller, but they wanted the new outfits to still be able to fit the old dolls (and not drag on the ground...lol!).

    I did think it looked kind of strange on the website pictures. [img]confused.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The new girls better not be taller! I think they may appear taller because they are thinner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •